Astell&Kern’s AURA IEMs Utilize 11 Drivers: High-End Munich 2023
Astell&Kern presents two products at High-End Munich 2023; A $1,900 ultra premium DAP (SE300) and low-cost AURA IEM headphones in collaboration with $4,200 Vision Ears, discussed below.
Both products will be on display at their booth – HALL 1, E03 from 18 to 21 May 2023.
Astell and Kern A&futura SE300 DAP it’s a step down from its current flagship model, but there’s a lot of technology built into the case and you can learn about this upcoming model.
AURA is the first collaboration with IEM Vision Ears for the production of in-ear monitors (IEMs) under the Astell&Kern brand. AURA is a versatile IEM developed and sold exclusively by Astell&Kern.
Vision Ears is a premium German IEM brand founded in 2013. He offers the highest quality headphones, crafted from his technological prowess and meticulous handicraft, which has earned him recognition as the premium IEM market leader.
AURA claims to use the highest quality drivers and materials with meticulous design for an unparalleled sound experience. There are 11 drivers in total. delivers amazing precision and offers perfect response and balance through five-way crossover and the thin shell and mesh structure made from high quality materials ensure that all AURA components come together to create a rich and natural sound.
Also read: FiiO’s FT3 Open-Back Headphones Need To Be On Your Radar
11 specially designed drivers
- Two 8mm AI-Mg isobaric dynamic drivers offer powerful output and accurate sound. Two 8mm dynamic drivers handle low and mid-low frequencies, offering tighter, more precise and better-tuned bass thanks to their exquisite design.
- Two sets of four balanced armature drivers a total of eight BA drivers, four mid-low balanced armature (BA) drivers, and four mid-mid-range BA drivers with two pairs of dual BA drivers that collectively handle the mid-range. Carefully selected eight BA drivers work together to create an accurate mid-range sound and reproduce warm and emotional male and female vocals.
- One woofer with balanced armature. Designed to maximize the feeling of space and openness, the Balanced Armature (BA) driver is used to create a soft, delicate yet extended ultra-high frequency sound that resonates richly in your ears.
Ultra-precise sound technology
- Five-way crossover – AURA’s technical configuration is designed with a class 1 crossover carefully crafted in Germany. All components are carefully selected to ensure the lowest tolerances available on the market. AURA uses a 5-way crossover with a special circuit design that avoids excessive loading from the tweeter to the source (amplifier), thereby reducing distortion and expanding high frequency reproduction. Internal wiring is made of high quality silver-plated copper alloy wire for superior performance.
- Two dynamic drivers in isobaric configuration – Two 8mm dynamic drivers face each other in an isobaric configuration. Since the two drivers are placed facing each other, compositional interference is maximized, effectively doubling the output volume. This in turn eliminates any phasing issues that may result from differences in the length of the sound pipes, reducing THD. This design makes the low-frequency sound produced by the dynamic drivers more accurate, solid and vibrant.
- Acoustic chamber – The “Special Chamber” has a precise internal volume that has been calculated to achieve the best compromise between driver speed and musicality. The two DDs are strictly matched to reduce any possible phase incoherence that could lead to inaccurate transient reproduction.
- Net – AURA open structure design incorporates vacuum metal mesh that glistens elegantly on top. This special aluminum acoustic mesh circulates air from the dynamic driver to drive a powerful resonant force while protecting internal components from outside influences.
Material innovation and craftsmanship
The AURA front panel and body are made of Swiss 6061-T6 aluminum; 6061 aluminum is a lightweight, strong and corrosion resistant alloy. The T6 heat treatment further enhances the strength of aluminum, making it not only light and strong, but also giving it a beautiful finish. The manufacturing processes of all parts are carried out with a high-quality CNC milling process, one part at a time.
- Front panel with microgrooves – The Micro Groove design is applied with surface treatment for the milling process. Grooves are dug along the fibers of the raw material to create a unique design before the product is moved to a precise laser engraver. This process is not just a standard laser process, but a special laser process that eliminates parts of the 0.5mm deep letter engraving source material, adding depth to the engravings. The component is then treated with oil to prevent oxidation, packaged, anodized and given a special dark bronze color.
- Precision machined aluminum body – Unlike the faceplate, the case is sealed with oil and then handed over to the master polisher. The bezel is engraved with an aesthetic design element and the cabinet surfaces are polished using a special sandblasting process. Otherwise, traces will remain from the tools used, so each sink is polished like a mirror by hand. Then, after sandblasting and anodizing, the case is ready to be painted in the warm gray color characteristic of Vision Ears. The AURA shell is the result of thousands of hours of work, including carving diamonds from rough rock using carefully selected materials, precision processes and specialized tools.
The AURA kit includes the following accessories:
- Custom audio cable for effects – The 4.4mm balanced cables and 3.5mm unbalanced cables included with AURA are custom made by Effect Audio and specifically designed to deliver the stunning sound of AURA. The special cables contain four wire components: two pure copper UP-OCC stranded wires and two pure silver/pure copper hybrid strands to ensure the best sound quality. Effect Audio EPO (Ergonomic Performance Optimization) technology is applied to provide outstanding flexibility for a more comfortable fit without sacrificing sound quality.
- Handmade leather accessories in smooth calfskin PABLO – The leather case, headphone pocket and cable clip for the AURA are made from the finest tanneries in Europe. These leather accessories are crafted from the highest quality calfskin and tanned by experienced craftsmen to give them unique colors and luster, as well as superior durability and a soft yet fine grained texture. These leather accessories transcend time with their elegance and are the envy of other famous brands.
- Headphones AZLA SE1500 – 100% medical grade silicone helps the SE1500 sit comfortably in the ear and minimize the possibility of skin irritation. The straight internal structure is designed in a perfect line which ensures that the sound travels linearly, improving the sound insulation performance and increasing the sense of space. There are a total of six ear tips (SS/S/SM/M/ML/L) included for a comfortable fit and enhanced sound.
AURA will be available exclusively from authorized Astell&Kern dealers worldwide in July 2023. $4200.